Thursday 15 December 2005

Angel, Angel!

I have just finished reading “Angels and Demons” by Dan Brown, yes, the controversial man who wrote “The Da Vinci Code”. Someone asked me has my faith been shaken after reading these two books, and my answer is “no”. However, “Angels And Demons” left me with questions which are still fresh and turning in my mind. And, my heart goes out to the Camerlegno, Carlo. If you have read, who impressed you the most? Firstly, I would ask what triggered Brown to write the two books? What was on his mind? One questioning the holiness of Jesus Christ, the other questioning the power of God versus science. Was it Darwin? Was it out of sheer rebellion? Reading “The Da Vinci Code” did not evoke so much emotions in me, it was just another investigative fiction for me, and I was eager to find out how did they decipher the codes and solve the mystery. I even picked up some Hebrew alphabet from there, which is found in psalms. But, “Angels And Demons” has left me feeling rather … sad. The ultimate point in the book was, “God is a lie” and “science if the truth”. Although this is something being sung for centuries, why did Brown bring it out again? Is he telling us that we are so deceived and so wrong all these years? Are we living on lies upon lies by the people around us? Towards the end of the book, Brown has used the Camerlegno to reason for God, but again, we are deceived, he is the brain behind all the murders and … Camerlegno himself is the outcome of “science”; A test-tube baby. How nice it was put, what a trick to play on the readers, and I wonder the impact it gave its readers. Yes, it was only a fiction, but it brought out the very nature of human beings, we are seeking for truth, and we hate to be lied to or deceived by the people around us, especially those that we love. Yet, the Camerlegno felt “deceived” and he himself “deceived” others and at the end, he discovered a further deception. And, at the very end of the novel, the crowd was shield from the “truth” which they long for. So, do you still believe there is truth in God? Do you still believe there is truth in the person next to you? Do you still believe there is truth in Christianity or Catholicism? Or, you would believe that “science” is the only way to discover truth? I myself still hold strongly to my faith, God is the very truth in this universe. He the self-existing God, and who do think created all these mysteries for the scientists to discover? And who do you think has the power or the capability to give human such a mind and brain to question and find out the hidden answers around them? And Rev. Stephen Tong shared a very powerful message last evening, God exists not because you believe He does, or does not exist, He is just simply there from the very beginning. Well, maybe we should thank Mr. Dan Brown, because it is his books that make Christians (those who are being spoon fed all this while) to wake up, think, and find the answers they have ignored in many years. But, do we blame on others or just make it our individual responsibility to stand for God?

1 comment:

Dave said...

Hey friend! Recently we did a seminar on Da Vinci Code, and I blogged about it here

http://hedonese1.blogspot.com/2005/11/da-vinci-code-ii.html

http://hedonese1.blogspot.com/2005/09/da-vinci-vcd.html